Wednesday, October 8, 2008

RIP 90's cartoons

The best times of my life was when I was able to run home and watch senseless cartoons. Cartoon network, Nickelodeon and Disney channel had cartoons that made no sense in the beginning of the show but as it got closer to the end it summed up to a strong moral that made me ponder. The times where there was no set age group on any specific channel, I remember when my sister who is 5 years older than me use to sit down with me to watch cartoons. We always met up at 5 o'clock every single week day to watch captain planet on cartoon network. Captain planet was about these kids who was giving powers to help clean the Earth. These five kids usually fights one person, this person always pollute the Earth. When they can't defeat him they would combine the powers to make Captain Planet a man fought for a clean environment. This never made sense because no one pollute the Earth but I learned that harming the Earth was not the way to go. Now in the present day when I decide to sit down and watch cartoons with my little niece I feel disappointed because they show more mature stuff like girls talking about having a boyfriend or about girls singing about stuff that my six year old niece does not need to hear. All I am saying is that I miss the old days when we learned about life instead of learning about love in our single digit years.
The video says it ALL!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha. It's always funny because people usually 16-18 usually always end up reminiscing about old 90's shows. I think my senior class of 2008 mentioned the 'old days' at least twice a day. How we are thinking about the 90's is very similar to how older people think about the 'great war' or when 'kennedy was assassinated'. It happens with every generation really. But, the point of this comment is to say 'Yes, I miss all of those shows, but the glory of the television is we can still see those shows still...even watch them on You Tube actually.

- Hush Puppy

Anonymous said...

You're not the only one. When I get the chance I sit down with my 7 year old brother and watch cartoons with him and can't help but shake my head. I hear so many bad words and there are lots of subliminal messages dealing with sexual content I can't believe that they are meant for children so young. I always tell him about the 90s cartoons and how great they are but he doesn't get it. What happened to the good clean cartoons!?!?!? Well thanks to channels like Boomerang or wesites like youtube, us older kids can still reminisce.